Heating oil boiler-installer fined for sub-standard work

Heating oil boiler-installer fined for sub-standard work

Residents of a property were put at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning recently when an oil heating engineer from Malswick carried out a below par boiler installation.Forty eight year old heating engineer Nigel Grinnell, from Malswick in Gloucestershire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act, and was fined £250. The fine came about after Cheltenham Magistrates’ heard how the boiler was installed in a compartment with inadequate ventilation with an unsuitable flue liner. The work initially seemed to have been carried out successfully but 6 months later, the resident of the property returned home and found the house full of smoke and fumes. After a short investigation the oil fired boiler installation was found to be the source of the fumes.The householder was completely unaware that the flexible flue liner had dipped and formed a moisture trap, fully or partially blocking the flow of flues gases into the chimney. A state of incomplete combustion, caused fumes and potentially lethal CO, to enter into the home. Each year, carbon monoxide poisoning sends 4,000 people to A&E with around 50 deaths in England and Wales. oftec-logo This fine highlights the dangers and implications of using engineers that are not registered with the recognised trade body. All our engineers are fully qualified and registered with OFTEC. OFTEC establishes the standards for competence within the domestic oil heating and cooking industry. We ensure all of our engineers have been checked and approved before they can be contracted to carry out any work, saving you the hassle of finding someone you can rely on and trust.Source: Health & Safety Executive of Great Britain