In the business world, fuel will always be a critical consideration - it is often the very lifeblood on which business is powered. However, over recent years, it has become clear that the fuels of yesteryear - and, in particular, the fossil fuels on which much of the modern world has been built - will no longer be a suitable choice for the future. As a result, businesses across a variety of industries now find themselves on a quest; a quest to find a fuel that can launch their business into a future that is sustainable, renewable, environmentally-friendly and - of course - free of fossil fuels.
BioLPG (which is also known as “biopropane”) has started to rise to the fore as a contender worthy of consideration by those who are attempting to find tomorrow’s fuel for their company. Below, we have gone into detail about this interesting fuel, highlighting how it differs from conventional LPG, and why it could prove to be a genuine game-changer for a variety of different businesses…
What is BioLPG?
BioLPG is a propane that is produced from feedstock materials, including - but not limited to - tallow, vegetable oil, cooking oil, food waste, and much more besides.
How is BioLPG produced?
There are a number of different materials that are used to produce Biofuels, including - but not limited to - oils, plant matter, glycerol, and food waste. These raw materials are then treated with primary processes such as hydrotreating, hydrothermal liquefaction, dehydration, and biosynthesis. Then, they undergo (except in the aftermath of biosynthesis, a stand-alone process) a subsequent secondary process. Following these process(es), the final product emerges - including BioLPG.
What are the core advantages of BioLPG?
- Sustainability - as it is produced using feedstock materials, BioLPG is a sustainable choice in comparison with traditional fuel sources.
- Renewability - again, due to its very nature, BioLPG is a renewable choice - the raw materials can be regrown and are replaceable, meaning it compares favourably to fossil fuels, which are finite.
- Reduced carbon emissions - thanks in no small part to the above two factors, BioLPG is the ideal choice for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint. In fact, it has been estimated that using BioLPG can result in up to a 90% reduction in carbon emissions.
- Lowered emissions - as with the more conventional LPG, BioLPG provides low Sodium Oxide, Nitrous Oxide, and particulate matter.
- Excellent compatibility - for businesses that are already using conventional LPG, the switch to BioLPG could not be simpler. All appliances that already use LPG, such as boilers and machinery, can switch to using BioLPG without any modifications required.
- Possible to blend with LPG - as well as being suitable for all LPG products, BioLPG can even be blended with its more conventional cousin, as the two are chemically identical to one another.
- Growing in availability - BioLPG is now being produced in a number of European countries, helping to increase the overall available supply. In fact, the premier BioLPG production location - the Neste refinery in Rotterdam - is capable of producing 800,000 tonnes of biofuels in a single year.
- Multipurpose - while we have focused primarily on business BioLPG usage, as this is most likely to be where adoption is the fastest, it is worth noting that BioLPG is a multipurpose fuel that is suitable for both business and domestic use.
What products and machinery can use BioLPG?
If an appliance or machinery runs on LPG, then the switch to BioLPG is very straightforward. As mentioned earlier, BioLPG can be used in boilers and machinery, but is also suitable for plant machinery, HGVs, and other applications - and there’s no need for a long modification process to “switch” to BioLPG either.
For businesses, this straightforward process of adopting a new fuel is particularly crucial. Rather than having to take a business or products offline for a period of time in order for changes or adaptations to be made, the switch to BioLPG is momentary and simple - so there’s no need for any disruption to the business, or its customer base.
Why should businesses switch to BioLPG?
In addition to the incredible reduction in carbon footprint that BioLPG offers, businesses may also want to consider a switch to BioLPG in order to obtain green credits. These credits are designed to provide financial incentives towards the use of more environmentally-friendly choices. Given its relative “clean” status, BioLPG is a natural choice for those seeking such credits.
What’s more, it is also worth noting that there is a strong commitment to changing fuel usage in the United Kingdom - and this commitment is coming from a variety of different sources. For one, leading energy suppliers have established a clear goal for the future of fuel provision; by 2040, 100% of their supply will be from renewable sources. A similar goal is in place on a political level too, with the UK government pledging that fossil fuels will be completely phased out of use by 2050.
There are, obviously, numerous strings to the bow of efforts to meet the above targets. However, BioLPG is an absolutely crucial component in helping to achieve these goals also. Thanks to its genuine environmentally friendly credentials, it is difficult to imagine how the business and political worlds’ goals can be met without a strong switch to BioLPG.
Furthermore, perhaps the most persuasive goal is the one that the LPG industry has set for itself. The trade body of the industry, Liquid Gas UK, has committed to a full transition to BioLPG by 2040.
When so many differing bodies, from regulators to governments, are committed to meeting similar targets, embracing one of the elements that will help to achieve those targets becomes the natural choice. BioLPG is, quite simply, the fuel of the future.
What type of businesses are suited to using BioLPG?
The business types that can benefit from BioLPG are larger and more substantial than one may initially think. Perhaps the most obvious businesses are those that require machinery - including farming equipment - or are involved in manufacturing, but the possibilities do not end there. Businesses as varied as holiday parks, care homes, property developers, hotels, and many more besides could all benefit from turning to BioLPG for their fuel needs.
The fact that BioLPG has such a strong scope of custom is another jewel in its crown when it comes to adoption rates. The more businesses that can switch to BioLPG, the more will actually do so - and the more normalised BioLPG, and all related support structures and infrastructure, will soon become.
Whatever fuel source you currently use in your business, BioLPG is a worthwhile consideration that could help you to embrace a more sustainable, environmentally-friendly, and compliant future for your company.