Domestic tanks for home heating oil can be supplied in a range of shapes and sizes, in plastic and metal, and normally range from holding around 1,000 to 2,500 litres.  There are basically 3 types of heating oil tank available, single-skin, double-skin or integrally bunded. The size of tank required will be determined by its location, space available, and the amount of domestic heating oil you use.  

 An OFTEC registered engineer will be able to advise you on the most appropriate choice of central heating oil tank for your individual circumstances and also whether you need a bunded tank.

  • Single-skinned tanks:

These have one layer of protection against an oil leak and are normally installed in a secondary type of containment system such as reinforced concrete.

  • Double-skinned tanks

Also known as twin-walled tanks, these have two protective layers that protect against leaks. These also should have a secondary containment system.

  • Integral bunded tanks

These offer the best protection against leaks as the heating oil is contained in an inner tank and the outer tank acts as protection, holding 110% of the inner tank’s capacity and fittings.  A bunded heating oil tank also offers additional benefits such as protection of the inner tank from the weather and the elements.

Building regulations now advise that all new heating oil tanks installed are bunded, and we would recommend you use an OFTEC registered engineer to install a new or replacement tank. You may also want to fit a heating oil tank gauge to help you monitor the amount of domestic heating oil in your tank.

Please also remember that underground tanks need to be professionally made for the job and can require planning permission.