Here are some simple steps to make sure your oil is safe and secure:
- Make sure your oil tank is hidden from the road, although remember your delivery driver needs to be able to gain access to the tank.
- Security lighting offers great protection at night.
- Consider installing a CCTV system.
- If you have a drive with gates, keep them closed and locked.
- Ensure all gates and fences are kept in good repair.
- Secure your tank with good quality close shackle padlocks.
- Remove and secure any tools or ladders which could be used.
- Remote electronic oil level gauges are now available which emit an audible alarm to a unit plugged inside your house if the fuel level suddenly drops.
- Consider changing to a bunded tank (if you do not already have one) which is much more complicated to gain access to – though it is still possible.