Whilst LPG is a clean, green and cost-effective energy source, we can all do that little bit extra for the planet and reduce our carbon footprint with simple and effective measures such as walking more and driving less, and recycling as much as possible. In addition, we can all be more low-carbon and energy efficient at home and here are some tips to help you reduce the amount of energy you use and reduce your carbon footprint:
- Do not leave your devices plugged in when not in use. By unplugging TV’s, laptops and phone chargers, big savings can be made.
- Replace all light bulbs with LED’s – the Energy Savings Trust estimates a potential saving per person of £40 a year.
- Use a bowl for washing up to reduce water usage and only fill the kettle with what you need.
- Have a shower instead of a bath and fit a water efficient shower head.
- Turn off electrical appliances at the plug when not in use instead of leaving on standby – although some satellite and digital TV recorders may need to be left plugged in to keep track of any programmes you want to record. Also, fully load your dishwasher and washing machine and use economy cycles, and regularly defrost your freezer to keep it running as economically as you can.
- Make sure your home is well insulated and draught-proof your doors and windows to reduce heat loss and if you have a chimney consider installing a chimney draught excluder too.
- Turn down your thermostat by 1 degree and use thermostats to only heat the rooms you are using.