Which is best for you?
Most off grid homes in the UK use oil for their central heating, but increasing numbers are choosing LPG to heat their homes. If you’ve purchased an off grid home and a modern heating system is already installed, you may want to consider OIL VS LPG and research which source of energy is going to best suit your needs. The Government’s Clean Growth Strategy aims to achieve cl...
Which is best for you?
Most off grid homes in the UK use oil for their central heating, but increasing numbers are choosing LPG to heat their homes. If you’ve purchased an off grid home and a modern heating system is already installed, you may want to consider OIL VS LPG and research which source of energy is going to best suit your needs. The Government’s Clean Growth Strategy aims to achieve clean growth and cut greenhouse emissions whilst ensuring an affordable energy supply to both businesses and consumers, and LPG is a cleaner, greener source with which to heat your home.
However, there are benefits to using either option. Both oil and LPG central heating are highly efficient, giving you a great return on every unit of energy.
Both domestic heating oil and LPG are delivered by road and stored in a tank on your premises. Whilst LPG has one of the lowest carbon emissions of all fossil fuels available to homes, both fuels produce significantly less Kg CO2 per unit /Kwh than standard grid sources.
Oil fired central heating works in a similar way to mains gas central heating. The oil is burned to heat water, which is channelled to your radiators and your taps to give you central heating and hot water.
At Northern Energy, we supply fuel for both oil and LPG central heating. Get in touch and we can help you to decide which fuel is right for your home. If you are currently use oil and wish to change, we can also help you to make the switch to LPG central heating.
If you choose Northern Energy as your central heating fuel provider, you can get a fantastic range of additional benefits. Our Privilege Plus Package* provides added value and includes VAT paid deliveries, emergency boiler breakdown cover, easy payment options, an automatic refilling service and and is designed to help you manage your fuel bills, cope with unforeseen circumstances and even improve the efficiency of your home.
Both oil and LPG central heating users are eligible for our Privilege Plus Package*.
Please contact our team for more information.
*Terms and conditions apply.
The Benefits of Oil Fired Central Heating
- Oil fired central heating is highly efficient, giving you a great return on every unit of energy. Not only that, but oil fired central heating is generally the most cost effective method of heating your home in rural areas where there is no mains gas supply.
- Your own your tank. With other types of home heating fuels like LPG, the tank is usually rented from your LPG supplier, with the cost of renting your LPG tank varying from supplier to supplier. With heating oil, the tank is usually bought when the heating system is installed, and as such there is no on-going tank rental fee to pay.
- Another benefit of heating oil is that once your oil tank is purchased it is usually covered by a 10 year manufacturer’s warranty. Always double check this with your tank supplier before purchasing your tank.
- Most heating oil tanks are now ‘bunded’. This means that the tank is effectively ‘a tank within a tank’, making it more secure and reducing the risk of an oil spillage, providing the tank is in good condition.
The Benefits of Using LPG
- Cleaner & Greener – LPG produces less carbon dioxide than oil and coal. It is naturally non-toxic, and produces up to 90% less carbon monoxide and 50% less smog compared to mains natural gas. On top of that, as LPG readily evaporates, it poses no serious environmental risks in the event of a spillage.
- Convenient – Because LPG is delivered in pressurised, portable tanks, it can easily reach areas cut-off from the mains natural gas grid. LPG boilers are also more compact than other boilers, requiring less maintenance.
- Safer – Though not without its risks, LPG usually contains an odorant, making it easier to detect leaks. Click here for more information on LPG Safety.
- Secure – Heating oil is contained in large outdoor tanks, which are often targeted by thieves. Because LPG is a non-contaminating fuel, it can be safely stored underground, greatly reducing the risks of theft. Click here for more information on LPG tank installation.
- UKLPG have made a handy guide to the benefits of using LPG, to find out more CLICK HERE