Work for us
As we continue to grow and develop our company we are always on the lookout for friendly and professional people to join our team.
We offer a modern, relaxed but professional working environment within our family-run company and would love to hear from you. Whether you have recently graduated or fancy a career change, the door is always open at Northern Energy for passionate and driven individuals.
Based in Hampsthwaite on the outskirts of the beautiful spa town of Harrogate, Northern Energy Supplies was established since 1932. We believe in treating our customers as individuals, and building relationships with both these customers and also amongst ourselves has been paramount to our success over the years.
Get in touch by sending your CV and salary expectations to us at Northern Energy to see if there is a place for you within the Northern Energy team.
- Sean ParkerWhen I walked through the door on my first day of employment with Northern Energy, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew that my previous employer had left me feeling undervalued and apprehensive. Raising a young family, I was looking for a place of employment where I could feel secure and would be rewarded for hard work. I wasn’t disappointed. The company is owned by the Illingworth family, and I work alongside the three Illingworth brothers, Ted, James and Stuart. I was really impressed at how welcome everyone made me feel and how although professional, the office has a casual feel about it - under which I thrive. After only a few weeks of working at Northern Energy my family and I were invited to the company’s annual cricket day which is held down the road in the village. I really enjoyed taking part in the game and stayed for the BBQ and beers after. As I work in marketing I’m asked to come up with different ideas in the promotion of the business. I find that marketing a business or product is much easier if you believe in it. Having spent days out on the delivery trucks as part of my induction I was relieved to find that the superb service that I had been promised was true. The drivers that I went out with weren’t just informative but showed me how important a good relationship is with the customer. For a heating oil delivery service I couldn’t believe how personal the service was. It soon struck me that if the drivers accepted a cuppa from every customer that offered one, they would never get any work done! In conclusion, I enjoy working for Northern Energy Supplies. There are clear lines of communication, I am kept informed of any changes, my opinion matters and I have made lots of new friends due to the social side of working for Northern Energy.Employee Testimonial 1
- Nicky WhiteI have now worked for Northern Energy since 2013. Coming to work here was the best decision I have ever made. I am a 52 year old woman who has been employed in many sectors over the years including the Armed Forces and as a Chef in several different sectors, from schools to restaurants. The one thing I haven’t done is work in an office. I was extremely nervous when I first started but through my employer’s patience (lots of patience) and belief in me I have blossomed. I am now an Account Manager and thoroughly enjoy interaction with the customer’s and with my colleagues. This is by far the best company I have ever worked for. I have learnt new skills and have an active social life. We have a Family Day every year with a friendly cricket match followed by a BBQ and whatever tipple takes your fancy. We have a bowling night - more fun food and drinks, also a great Christmas party every year, as well as the odd after-work-meet at a local hostelry. The Illingworth’s who own the company are a lovely, generous family and make sure that everyone feels welcome. All in all a great place to work.Employee Testimonial 2
- Sarah TownsendI have been working at Northern Energy since the start of 2013. The staff are friendly as are the management. Working in a busy environment with the emphasis being that we are all part of a team. The company is always striving to provide the best service for our customers.Employee Testimonial 3
- Phil LeeI started working with Northern Energy on 20th May 1991 as a driver. I drove tankers for five years before choosing to move into the office environment. My current role sees me responsible for the customer’s LPG tanks. I work with Operations who organise the delivery of LPG to the new tanks and tank exchanges following completion. I also take care of tank inspections, maintenance, uplifts / pump outs and tank testing.I have learned a great deal over the years about the oil and LPG business which gives me the opportunity to help my colleagues out in all areas including the occasional bit of tanker driving.I find the Illingworths (the family behind Northern Energy since 1932) to be really accommodating and more importantly approachable. They are always very keen to reward hard work with nights out, family cricket days, BBQs and of course pay. We’ve currently got a great group of people at Northern Energy, there’s a vibrant atmosphere around the office and a strong team spirit.I like to play an active role in staff meetings where I am able to voice my opinions and help shape the company.Employee Testimonial 4
- Class 1 Tanker Driver
Northern Energy Supplies are always looking for good tanker drivers. We have depots based in Immingham, Harrogate, Malton and Newcastle.
Who are Northern Energy? A family business where people care about what they do: what is that exactly? To provide our customers with their best experience of a fuel delivery from beginning to end.
- LGV Category CE
- ADR Classes 2 & 3
Attractive benefit package including competitive remuneration and private medical cover.
If you are interested in joining our team, please contact Stuart Illingworth, detailing current salary, at Northern Energy, Hampsthwaite Head, Hampsthwaite, Harrogate, HG3 2HT
or via an Application Form that can be obtained by calling 01423 770 170.
- South Lincolnshire / North Cambridgeshire Area Manager
Due to our continued success and recent expansion, we are looking to recruit an Area Manager to join our successful, stable and growing family-run company. This role provides an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and ambitious sales professional, with a desire to develop their career within a growing and forward-thinking company.
We are currently expanding into the more southern parts of Lincolnshire and surrounding areas, delivering LPG to domestic and commercial customers.
We are looking for a proactive and confident individual, motivated by targets and driven to deliver results. The successful applicant will be customer-focused with first class communication, great management skills and excellent personal presentation.
Applicants must hold a full UK driving licence.
OTE earnings – £40,000 + (basic salary plus generous, uncapped commission package, which will be discussed at interview).
A company vehicle will be provided (for business use only).
Email: Ted.email@example.com along with your CV.
What our clients are saying...
- "Can I say that the engineer who came prior and the last time is so polite, so cheerful, so helpful and I feel safe. He’s marvellous and so professional – I call him Elvis (forgotten his name)!"Mrs F, E. Riding of Yorkshire
- "I would just like to thank the ladies in the office that deal with the orders for oil. Last year and now this I had not realised that I needed oil and ran out. On both occasions they all went the extra mile to ensure that I had oil as soon as possible. I really value such good service and would like to say thank you."Mrs W, Blyton
- "We've just had our kerosene delivery and I just wanted to pass on how lovely our delivery driver was. It's the second time he's been to ours and he seems such a nice guy; happy, polite and kindly with our kids, but also gets on with his job. We hope he delivers again next time! Just thought you should know!"Mrs B, Retford
- "The driver for my area has always been friendly, approachable and obliging. He even clears away the dirt and wildlife from the inlet hole."Mrs L, North Somercotes
- "The delivery of oil was fantastic! I’d like to thank the driver very much for his care and consideration."Mr B, Leyburn
- "One of the engineers you use, Rob, was wonderful. He came out to us quite late in the evening and fixed our boiler. He is always very helpful, kind and excellent – a real credit to your company."Mrs F, Goole
- "Regarding the customer service, there are no improvements necessary as it's always been great."Mr E, Pickering
- "The driver is excellent, he is friendly and competent. The office staff are very good too."Mrs R, Ilkley
- "The new delivery driver appears as friendly, pleasant and professional as the previous driver who we had for many years (Dave from Masham) and who was superb in every aspect."Mrs B, Spennithorne
- "I have been with Northern Energy for a number of years now and delighted to be one of your customers."Mrs D, Alvingham
- "The service engineer, a young man named John, was excellent, he was extremely professional and competent, a credit to your organisation as were all the staff who helped with this problem. Thank you."Mr B, Malton
- "We had a breakdown in gas supply yesterday (Sunday). A delightful gentleman came out quickly and fixed it. Later in the day it went off again. Today, two splendid engineers came and fitted a new regulator. An excellent service, from the ladies on the telephone to the engineers. Please thank them all for us. We're grateful and impressed."Mr H, Skipton
- "Northern Energy is an excellent company to deal with! Keep up the good work."Mr & Mrs H, Scunthorpe
- "Very happy with all aspects of your very good delivery service!"Mr & Mrs H, Lincoln
- "Please keep up the good work, you are a very dependable firm to deal with, thank you."Mr & Mrs S, North Kelsey
- "Very satisfied with the service received during the past 12 months and previously."Mrs B, York
- "I think the text system to my phone is an excellent idea, this with good communication makes for outstanding customer service."Mr C, Tadcaster
- "The service is excellent. We would add our sincere praise over the boiler service, this man is a credit to you. His attitude is the best."Mr J, Speeton
- "Thank you for your fast delivery, keep up the good work!"Mr W, Otley
- "Great team! I have always been more than happy, the service has always been great!
Well done."Mrs R, Ripon
- "And the same to you and all your staff at Northern Energy for providing an excellent and courteous service throughout the year. Keep up the good work and thank you once again."Mr S, Newark
- "The efforts made by your reception staff were both very polite and successful in difficult circumstances. Our boiler breakdown happened during a holiday and a weekend. Although the allocated engineers were short staffed and couldn't turn out Northern Energy found us an excellent and very efficient engineer who dealt with the problem well with the 48 hours, thank you!"Mr W, Bedale
- "I would just like to express my thanks and appreciation for the speed at which my oil was delivered recently. "Mrs M, Selby
- "Your engineer came round and fixed my mums boiler. It is really difficult living so far away from my mum when these circumstances happen. Once again you have been wonderful and shown true customer service."Mrs C, Staffs
- "I would like to commend and thank the our tanker driver. He is efficient and courteous. Many thanks for your prompt service!"Mr T, Harrogate
- "A very efficient and comprehensive team that recently completed my boiler service. They thoroughly explained what they had done and completed some tasks that had been overlooked by previous engineers."Mr K, Kirkby Malzeard
- "The reason I use Northern Energy is because all the people on the phone are so helpful and efficient "Mr D, Morpeth
- "I would like to thank you and Wendy for such a wonderful service provided to myself. As a new customer to Northern Energy, you have exceeded my expectations, and you are both truly a credit to your organisation."Miss M, Market Rasen
- "Yet again first class customer service from NES as your wagon has just been with our Xmas Top Up when I only rang your office on 2 days ago.
Many thanks and a very merry Xmas to you and everyone at NES HQ Harrogate.
"Mr G, Northallerton
- "Very professional boiler service carried out by a very pleasant engineer!"Mrs H, Northallerton
- "A good boiler service, carried out an efficient, pleasant and tidy engineer."MR W, Malton
- "Our boiler service was carried out in a professional manor. The plumber was courteous & friendly, explaining what he was doing and why. "Mrs R, Grimsby
- "I was pleased with the efficient way my boiler service was carried out."MR F, Wetherby
- "Our boiler service was done in accordance with our instructions by very pleasant staff."Mr N, Knaresborough
- "My boiler service was carried out by the same people as before - polite and efficient. There was a concise and clear outcome. "MR K, York
- "Professional & trustworthy boiler service. I did not have to be present. "Mrs S, York
- "Very prompt call out for a boiler issue, fixing the problem straight away!
Good lad Will!"Mr P M R, Burnt Yates
- "The boiler service was exceptional. 3.5 hours from me calling Northern Energy my boiler was sorted. I'm so pleased that I decided to have an account with N.E. and have my boiler looked after by your Experts. "Mr B, Scunthorpe
- "Friendly and helpful response when reporting my boiler breakdown to Northern Energy. Contact was made from the heating engineer within 2 hours and subsequent good service from him later the same day. "Mr M J, Humshaugh
- "James is the best oil burner engineer we've had since entering your Boiler Breakdown scheme. "DR J J, Slingsby
- "I was very pleased with Northern Energy, organised and efficient, Chris the boiler engineer did his job excellently!"Mr P S, Market Rasen
- "It is good to see even in a large business, customer care does still exist. Well done! When my holiday cottage ran out with elderly guests in it, the two ladies I spoke to on your sales team were in fact extremely obliging!"Mrs B, Beningbrough
- "I would just like to say thank you for your delivery service.
Tara is always a pleasure to deal with and very helpful.
On two occasions, once following oil theft and the second more recently when we ran out of fuel, I rang on the Monday morning and received delivery that afternoon.
The service you give to your customers is excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend you to others.
Once again from one very happy (warm) customer."Mrs C, Borrowby
- "If you're looking for an LPG supplier, Northern Energy is the supplier you want.
Their prices are value for money, and their service has been absolutely faultless in all the years we have been with them.
And they're really nice people too. In fact the only reason we're leaving them is because they don't deliver to Norfolk.
"Mr B, Newcastle
- "Such a good company to deal with! Everyone always seems so friendly and helpful"Mrs B, The Tourism Network, Masham
- "It is excellent peace of mind, such a helpful and friendly boiler service engineer. I am more than happy. "Mr T, Consett
- "The people that came to do our boiler service were very friendly and efficient. They explained everything and took photos of the parts we couldn't quite see. We were really happy with them. "Mr A, York
- "Chris the boiler engineer is always good at his job and goes out of his way to please!"Mr B, Retford
- "The boiler service engineer was very friendly and professional. Nice and tidy work done."Mr D, Raithby by Spilsby
- "The boiler engineer was most efficient and courteous. "Mr L, Barnetby
- "When our boiler service was done, everything was done quickly and efficiently by the lovely Chris."Mrs B, Skegness
- "As always, our boiler engineer did a good job, never rushed and very thorough!"Mr S, Thirsk
- "The boiler engineer was very good and spent time to ensure boiler was working efficiently. "Mr P, Hartwith
- "The boiler engineer was polite, on time, explained everything, clean and efficient. At our request he replaced our Watchman."Mr L, Scunthorpe
- "We always find the Lincs boiler service man to be polite and helpful, explaining the state of the boiler and heating system. "Mr S, Chapel St. Leonards
- "Very pleased with Northern Energy, organised and efficient. Chris the boiler engineer (as always) doing his job excellently - thank you!"Mrs S, Market Rasen
- "Three and a half hours after calling Northern Energy my boiler was sorted. I didn't even expect it to be the same day. I received a text from the engineer a day after to see if everything was OK.
I am so pleased that I have an account with Northern Energy and have my boiler looked after by experts. "Mr B, Scunthorpe
- "We were dealt with quickly, our options were clearly explained, a solution found and our boiler was fixed before Christmas. Excellent. "Mr W, Driffield
- "Great boiler engineer, he would have come to the property the evening of the breakdown had I wished!"Mr S, Meldon
- "On behalf of my mum, she has been a customer of yours for a long time and she always sings the praise of your staff from the people that answer the phones, the delivery drivers and the engineers. I would like to say a very big thank you for the excellent customer service your team provide. Especially this week when her boiler broke down and the problem was solved so swiftly. "Mrs B, Pontefract
- "Very prompt and helpful. The engineer got the boiler going straight away and came back a couple of days later to replace parts. It was only an hour and twenty minutes from my call to arrival "Mr P, Driffield
- "I approached Northern Energy for help with my boiler. Without doubt, Dave Jeff and his Oil Force Team are the most efficient, considerate and knowledgeable boiler maintenance team we have ever come across. We would recommend them to anyone. "Mr C, Masham
- "Many thanks for your prompt service. Special thanks to driver Jeff, who is a great advertisement for your company!"Mr T, Harrogate
- "A very, very big thank you for the oil delivery this morning.
I rang at 8am and explained we were very low on oil and that my wife had a medical condition where she needs to keep warm. Your phone call at around 9 am to say the tanker was on its way caught us by surprise. It arrived 30 minutes later!
Truly exceptional service.
"Mr W, Donington on Bain
- "Thank you so much for the M&S voucher, what a lovely gesture.
After having been treated so badly by my previous gas supplier, this was a lovely surprise and much appreciated.
Although I was left out of gas, you responded so quickly and it was obvious you were keen to remedy it.
Your customer service team is excellent. I will have no problems recommending Northern LPG."Mrs W, Northumberland
- "The standard of my boiler service was exceptional. I phoned the engineer at 8am on a Saturday and he arrived at 9:15am! He managed to diagnose the problem and make a temporary fix for the hot water. A new part arrived the following Tuesday and he came and fixed it. "Mr A, Tadcaster
- "Excellent boiler service. The engineer replaced the circulation pump and fully explained everything.
I would recommend Northern Energy on the basis of this service - a definite plus point!"Mrs H, Retford
- "Couldn't have been better in any way!"Mrs J, Grimsby
- "Excellent, friendly and very punctual engineer.
I would recommend without reservation!"Mr W P D
- "Thank you so very much for such a quick delivery we really do appreciate it .............especially as today is absolutely freezing.
Your company always helps if they can ............its like a family run business who cares for their customers.....thank you .
"Mrs S, Market Rasen
- "Thank you so much for a fantastic service! Your driver Ted was extremely polite and courteous, a credit to your company!"Mr H, Whixley