Northern Energy and the Environment
Our objective is to commit to being environmentally responsible for our operational activities, the services we provide, and the effects they have on others and our employees, to such an extent that we will ultimately achieve a level of excellence in the way we care for our environment.
We are taking important steps to help reduce the effects our activities have on the environment, ensuring they are kept to a minimum. We are committed to ensuring all functions within our organisation are regularly reviewed, thus ensuring continual improvement.
Our Environmental Policy Statement commits us to improving awareness of our activities on the environment by regular monitoring of our environmental performance against objectives set by our committed Management Team.
- Reduces waste to the lowest possible level, ensuring responsible disposal of all waste, and measuring performance by undertaking regular audits, comparing results to established targets.
- Reduces to a minimum our use of all sources of energy and the misuse of all materials, measuring performance against previous usage and improving on the environmental effects.
- Minimises at all times unnecessary actions which will have an adverse effect on our environment as individuals and as an organisation.
- Advocates employee involvement in all environmental matters, providing sufficient training relating to our environmental policy to enable them to offer advice and assistance to our customers regarding energy efficiency, with assistance provided by the Energy Savings Trust.
- We will seek to ensure that any products or services supplied by a third party, where possible, do not contravene our environmental policy, by means of handling, storage and disposal.
- Ensures all employees and all persons involved with our organisation are made aware of our environmental policy and agree to comply with it.
Northern Energy - Energy Saving Tips
Get a jacket
For approximately £15 you could get a jacket to go around your hot water tank. Working in the same way as wall and loft insulation, the jacket captures warm air in tiny pockets and forms a barrier to the escaping heat.
Use split foam pipes (around £20) to cover any exposed pipework. When you come to a bend in a pipe, cut a 45 degrees mitre join in the foam tube using a small mitre block and small saw.
This is one of the simplest ways to save energy and therefore money.
It is easy enough to fit everything yourself and it may save you about £150 every year on an initial layout of around £35
Are you in control?
If you don’t already have one, installing a room thermostat will give you more control over your heating, giving you the ability to use your energy as and when you require it. This can save you approximately £70 per year.
Simple changes that will make efficient use of your heating controls include:
- According to the Energy Saving Trust, turning down your thermostat by 1°C you can save you £55.
- Concentrate on heating the rooms you use most frequently.
- Programme your heating to work only when the house is occupied.
- Set your thermostatic radiator valves (TVRs) to a low temperature or turn radiators off in rooms that you don’t use.
Exclude a draught
Heat may be escaping from tiny gaps around your house. Inspect the gaps around doors (keyholes & letterboxes), windows, floorboards, chimneys, electrical fittings and ceiling-to-wall joints. Your local DIY store will have a number of affordable draught excluding solutions including tapes, sealants and chimney blockers to prevent heat loss.
Expect to make savings of £25 – £50 per year.
Get a woolly top up
Loft insulation can’t be recommended highly enough. Check that your loft is insulated and that the insulation laid is still in a ‘springy’ state. Old insulation may have become compressed or damp over time and will either need replacing, or a new layer placing over the top.
Some great reasons to insulate your loft:
- Reduce your gas & electricity bills
- Reduce your home’s carbon footprint
- Keep the house warmer in winter
- Keep the house cooler in summer
- Prevent internal condensation and damp
- Improve your home’s energy efficiency rating
- Reduce traffic noise
- Loft insulation can be subsidised by the UK government’s Green Deal scheme
A 4.8m length X 1.1m width role will cost around £25.
Switch it off
It is a common myth that leaving lights on and leaving appliances on standby will save money. The view is that the appliance somehow needs to warm up like an old fashioned television to reach its optimum performance. This simply isn’t true. Modern technology ensures that lights and appliances offer instant performance, leaving the idea of having these products permanently ‘on’ as redundant.
An average family could save between £50 and £90 a year just by turning appliances off.
The only exceptions that you may want to exclude from this rule are satellite and digital TV recorders, as you may have them programmed to record television shows.
Seeing the light
When lighting accounts for 18% of our annual household bills, it is important that we get it right.
The latest type of energy saving bulb on the market is the LED bulb. LED bulbs are now available for both down-lighters and spotlight fittings. Though initially more expensive than the original energy saving bulbs (CFL), LED will save you more money in the long run.
Be conscious of how many lights are switched on in your house and always switch off the light as you leave a room, no matter how long you’re leaving for.
What our clients are saying
We have just had a delivery this morning. The driver is new and I just wanted you to know how efficient he was and very friendly. He told us about your new vehicle which will be able to access hard to reach properties if the weather is bad and the big tankers cannot get access.Mr S
We had an exceptionally busy period at the pub in summer and ran out of gas from a delivery which would normally have lasted much longer. I rang Northern Energy mid-morning when we discovered our situation and they delivered within 20 minutes! We were all very impressed by the speed and helpfulness of the service which got us out of a potentially very difficult situation. Lunch service went on as normal in our pub.Mrs R - Publican
Thank you, Northern Energy!
Excellent service , easy to order with polite efficient sales staff. Delivery drivers friendly and reliable, very impressed with all round customer service.Mrs J
Your telephone is answered quickly and in a friendly manner followed up with call/message of delivery date.Mrs B
My husband and I are very pleased with your overall service and have recommended your service to other people round about. We rate you 10. Many thanksMrs B
Yes I would recommend you, I score 10. The 'PPP' keeps my tank topped up, no VAT to pay. A very good efficient firm with nice friendly delivery men. Thank youMr W
Been with you now since 2005 would recommend you to anyoneMr W
Always good service from ring (a day before) to say delivery is on it's way to the tank being filled up, thanks guys!Mr T
Last year I recommended you to my neighbour and he is equally happy with your service.Mrs S
I have just recommended your company to a friend who's just moved into a new home and uses oil. I have given you 10 in ratings.Mr M
We find the whole service really easy & efficientMrs M
We are new customers, but the one delivery we have had came on time. The driver was very friendly and quick with no mess. Very pleased and no need to go elsewhere!Mrs D
I have always been very happy with the service I've recieved from Northern Energy and in fact have got you 2 more customers in the village. The delivery men are always courteous and I think that goes a long way! Northern Energy get a five star rating from me.Mr C
I am pleased with your automatic top-up system. It saves me worrying about running out and presumably saves you money if you can top up a group of neighbouring customers in one delivery - so win-win.Mr D
We have been very impressed with the service received from Northern Energy. The team are always very friendly and always willing to help in any which way they can. If we are cancelling a delivery there are never any questions asked. Recently we had a new oil tank fitted and the oil was delivered within two days of being ordered (we had allowed up to 5 days).Mr K
As a customer I love the all inclusive package of oil and maintenance that you offer. As a second home owner, we never run out of oil like we do ‘at home’ because you keep us ‘topped up’.Mr C