Home energy savings tips to help you save energy and money:
Little changes make a big difference
- Remember to switch off lights when you leave a room.
- Use energy saving light bulbs. They can save you up to £100 over the lifetime of a bulb, and they can last up to 12 times longer than a conventional light bulb.
- Choose energy-efficient home appliances which have been designed with minimal energy consumption in mind.
- Turn off all electric appliances when not in use. Remember, devices use electricity even when on standby. Don’t leave appliances on charge unnecessarily.
- Your fridge/freezer is one of the biggest energy users in the home. Do not leave the door open unnecessarily and reduce the number of trips you make – good for your waistline too!!
- Keep your freezer well stocked, so less cold air is lost when the door is opened.
- Cover pans to reduce heat loss, and do not put a small pan on a large burner.
- If your washing machine/tumble drier/dishwasher is not full, use the half load or economy setting.
- Turn your thermostat down by 1 degree C – this could cut your heating bills by up to 10%.
- Check your cylinder thermostat – it only needs to be set at 60 degrees C or lower.
- Don’t leave taps running without putting the plug in the sink and don’t leave taps running when cleaning your teeth.
- Shower instead of taking a bath. An ordinary shower uses two-fifths of the hot water needed for a bath.
- Repair leaky taps/make sure they are fully turned off. A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week can waste enough hot water to fill half a bath.
- Install weather-stripping on any windows or doors that do not fit properly.
- Draw curtains in the evening – let the sun in during the day.
- Service your boiler annually – having your boiler serviced annually can reduce your fuel costs by up to 10%. We offer boiler servicing to ensure maximum efficiency, saving you money and helping to low your carbon footprint.
Bigger Changes make a bigger difference.
Investing in your property to increase it’s energy efficiency will save you money and could increase the value of your property, as well as help the environment – a long term investment that’s worth it.
- Your Boiler
If your heating system is old or inefficient, you could be throwing away as much as a £240 a year!
Boilers account for around 60% of all household carbon dioxide emissions. Gas and oil boilers have a lifespan of approximately 10-15 years, at which point you should consider replacing the boiler with a new one. By fitting a new condensing boiler with heating controls, you will significantly cut your CO2 emissions and reduce your heating bills by up to £240 per year.
- Condensing Boilers
A high-efficiency condensing boiler recovers as much heat as possible that would ordinarily be lost through the flue as waste heat with a conventional boiler. It does this by having a larger or secondary heat exchanger.
The best condensing boilers will convert more than 90% of energy used into heat, compared with 78% for non-condensing models. For all gas and oil boiler replacements, it is now compulsory to fit a condensing model, unless there are location constraints. To ensure you are getting the most efficient boiler, look for the Energy Saving recommended logo, which is only used on A rated models.
- Heating Controls
If you have a wet central heating system fuelled by gas, oil, electricity or solid fuel, it should have the following controls to ensure that it is working efficiently:
- A programmer
- Room thermostat
- Hot water cylinder thermostat
(for a regular central heating system)
- Thermostat radiator valves
Is your house properly insulated?
Insulating your home is one of the most effective ways of improving it’s energy efficiency and reducing your heating bills. If your loft and walls are un-insulated, up to 55% of the heat that you are paying for will be escaping straight through the walls and roof of your home. When looking to make improvements to your home, loft and cavity wall insulation are the most cost-effective steps to take. If we all follow these steps, it could save up to 2 ½ tonnes of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere.
- Loft Insulation
It is recommended that lofts are insulated to a depth of 270mm to gain maximum savings of £180 – £200 a year. Loft insulation can be done DIY or through a professional installer, and your investment will be paid back in only one to two years.
You may also be eligible for a grant or discount.
- Cavity Wall Insulation
Around a third of all heat loss in an un-insulated home is lost through the walls. If you have cavity walls, insulating them can make a great difference. It could save you £130 – £160 a year on your fuel bills, and pay for itself within 2 years. Cavity wall insulation must be installed by a professional installer and is injected from the outside of your property. It usually takes about three hours to do. If you are unsure whether your walls have cavities, contact the Energy Savings Trust. Visit their website www.thinkinsulation.com or call them on 08700 612 216.
Grants and discounts may also be available.
- Solid Wall Insulation
If your house was built before the 1930s, it is likely to have solid walls. The only way to reduce heat loss is to insulate the walls, either externally or internally, by rendering the property with an insulating material. This is a more disruptive and expensive measure and is usually undertaken during renovation or decoration, but will lead to savings of up to £250 to £350 a year.
- Draught Proofing
If you have poorly sealed windows and doors, you may be losing 15-20% of heat through the gaps. Draught proofing is a simple, inexpensive DIY measure that could save you £20 a year.
- What do I do now?
Contact the Energy Savings Trust on 01904 554406 or visit their website for more information on grants, and for help and advice: www.thinkinsulation.com
There are loans available through the Government’s flagship ’Green Deal’ scheme, launched on 28th January 2013. For more details, visit their website at www.gov.uk/green-deal-energy-saving-measures
Alternatively, to find out more and to see if you qualify,
call The Energy Savings Trust on 0300 123 1234 (national call rate applies)
What our clients are saying...
- "Can I say that the engineer who came prior and the last time is so polite, so cheerful, so helpful and I feel safe. He’s marvellous and so professional – I call him Elvis (forgotten his name)!"Mrs F, E. Riding of Yorkshire
- "I would just like to thank the ladies in the office that deal with the orders for oil. Last year and now this I had not realised that I needed oil and ran out. On both occasions they all went the extra mile to ensure that I had oil as soon as possible. I really value such good service and would like to say thank you."Mrs W, Blyton
- "We've just had our kerosene delivery and I just wanted to pass on how lovely our delivery driver was. It's the second time he's been to ours and he seems such a nice guy; happy, polite and kindly with our kids, but also gets on with his job. We hope he delivers again next time! Just thought you should know!"Mrs B, Retford
- "The driver for my area has always been friendly, approachable and obliging. He even clears away the dirt and wildlife from the inlet hole."Mrs L, North Somercotes
- "The delivery of oil was fantastic! I’d like to thank the driver very much for his care and consideration."Mr B, Leyburn
- "One of the engineers you use, Rob, was wonderful. He came out to us quite late in the evening and fixed our boiler. He is always very helpful, kind and excellent – a real credit to your company."Mrs F, Goole
- "Regarding the customer service, there are no improvements necessary as it's always been great."Mr E, Pickering
- "The driver is excellent, he is friendly and competent. The office staff are very good too."Mrs R, Ilkley
- "The new delivery driver appears as friendly, pleasant and professional as the previous driver who we had for many years (Dave from Masham) and who was superb in every aspect."Mrs B, Spennithorne
- "I have been with Northern Energy for a number of years now and delighted to be one of your customers."Mrs D, Alvingham
- "The service engineer, a young man named John, was excellent, he was extremely professional and competent, a credit to your organisation as were all the staff who helped with this problem. Thank you."Mr B, Malton
- "We had a breakdown in gas supply yesterday (Sunday). A delightful gentleman came out quickly and fixed it. Later in the day it went off again. Today, two splendid engineers came and fitted a new regulator. An excellent service, from the ladies on the telephone to the engineers. Please thank them all for us. We're grateful and impressed."Mr H, Skipton
- "Northern Energy is an excellent company to deal with! Keep up the good work."Mr & Mrs H, Scunthorpe
- "Very happy with all aspects of your very good delivery service!"Mr & Mrs H, Lincoln
- "Please keep up the good work, you are a very dependable firm to deal with, thank you."Mr & Mrs S, North Kelsey
- "Very satisfied with the service received during the past 12 months and previously."Mrs B, York
- "I think the text system to my phone is an excellent idea, this with good communication makes for outstanding customer service."Mr C, Tadcaster
- "The service is excellent. We would add our sincere praise over the boiler service, this man is a credit to you. His attitude is the best."Mr J, Speeton
- "Thank you for your fast delivery, keep up the good work!"Mr W, Otley
- "Great team! I have always been more than happy, the service has always been great!
Well done."Mrs R, Ripon
- "And the same to you and all your staff at Northern Energy for providing an excellent and courteous service throughout the year. Keep up the good work and thank you once again."Mr S, Newark
- "The efforts made by your reception staff were both very polite and successful in difficult circumstances. Our boiler breakdown happened during a holiday and a weekend. Although the allocated engineers were short staffed and couldn't turn out Northern Energy found us an excellent and very efficient engineer who dealt with the problem well with the 48 hours, thank you!"Mr W, Bedale
- "I would just like to express my thanks and appreciation for the speed at which my oil was delivered recently. "Mrs M, Selby
- "Your engineer came round and fixed my mums boiler. It is really difficult living so far away from my mum when these circumstances happen. Once again you have been wonderful and shown true customer service."Mrs C, Staffs
- "I would like to commend and thank the our tanker driver. He is efficient and courteous. Many thanks for your prompt service!"Mr T, Harrogate
- "A very efficient and comprehensive team that recently completed my boiler service. They thoroughly explained what they had done and completed some tasks that had been overlooked by previous engineers."Mr K, Kirkby Malzeard
- "The reason I use Northern Energy is because all the people on the phone are so helpful and efficient "Mr D, Morpeth
- "I would like to thank you and Wendy for such a wonderful service provided to myself. As a new customer to Northern Energy, you have exceeded my expectations, and you are both truly a credit to your organisation."Miss M, Market Rasen
- "Yet again first class customer service from NES as your wagon has just been with our Xmas Top Up when I only rang your office on 2 days ago.
Many thanks and a very merry Xmas to you and everyone at NES HQ Harrogate.
"Mr G, Northallerton
- "Very professional boiler service carried out by a very pleasant engineer!"Mrs H, Northallerton
- "A good boiler service, carried out an efficient, pleasant and tidy engineer."MR W, Malton
- "Our boiler service was carried out in a professional manor. The plumber was courteous & friendly, explaining what he was doing and why. "Mrs R, Grimsby
- "I was pleased with the efficient way my boiler service was carried out."MR F, Wetherby
- "Our boiler service was done in accordance with our instructions by very pleasant staff."Mr N, Knaresborough
- "My boiler service was carried out by the same people as before - polite and efficient. There was a concise and clear outcome. "MR K, York
- "Professional & trustworthy boiler service. I did not have to be present. "Mrs S, York
- "Very prompt call out for a boiler issue, fixing the problem straight away!
Good lad Will!"Mr P M R, Burnt Yates
- "The boiler service was exceptional. 3.5 hours from me calling Northern Energy my boiler was sorted. I'm so pleased that I decided to have an account with N.E. and have my boiler looked after by your Experts. "Mr B, Scunthorpe
- "Friendly and helpful response when reporting my boiler breakdown to Northern Energy. Contact was made from the heating engineer within 2 hours and subsequent good service from him later the same day. "Mr M J, Humshaugh
- "James is the best oil burner engineer we've had since entering your Boiler Breakdown scheme. "DR J J, Slingsby
- "I was very pleased with Northern Energy, organised and efficient, Chris the boiler engineer did his job excellently!"Mr P S, Market Rasen
- "It is good to see even in a large business, customer care does still exist. Well done! When my holiday cottage ran out with elderly guests in it, the two ladies I spoke to on your sales team were in fact extremely obliging!"Mrs B, Beningbrough
- "I would just like to say thank you for your delivery service.
Tara is always a pleasure to deal with and very helpful.
On two occasions, once following oil theft and the second more recently when we ran out of fuel, I rang on the Monday morning and received delivery that afternoon.
The service you give to your customers is excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend you to others.
Once again from one very happy (warm) customer."Mrs C, Borrowby
- "If you're looking for an LPG supplier, Northern Energy is the supplier you want.
Their prices are value for money, and their service has been absolutely faultless in all the years we have been with them.
And they're really nice people too. In fact the only reason we're leaving them is because they don't deliver to Norfolk.
"Mr B, Newcastle
- "Such a good company to deal with! Everyone always seems so friendly and helpful"Mrs B, The Tourism Network, Masham
- "It is excellent peace of mind, such a helpful and friendly boiler service engineer. I am more than happy. "Mr T, Consett
- "The people that came to do our boiler service were very friendly and efficient. They explained everything and took photos of the parts we couldn't quite see. We were really happy with them. "Mr A, York
- "Chris the boiler engineer is always good at his job and goes out of his way to please!"Mr B, Retford
- "The boiler service engineer was very friendly and professional. Nice and tidy work done."Mr D, Raithby by Spilsby
- "The boiler engineer was most efficient and courteous. "Mr L, Barnetby
- "When our boiler service was done, everything was done quickly and efficiently by the lovely Chris."Mrs B, Skegness
- "As always, our boiler engineer did a good job, never rushed and very thorough!"Mr S, Thirsk
- "The boiler engineer was very good and spent time to ensure boiler was working efficiently. "Mr P, Hartwith
- "The boiler engineer was polite, on time, explained everything, clean and efficient. At our request he replaced our Watchman."Mr L, Scunthorpe
- "We always find the Lincs boiler service man to be polite and helpful, explaining the state of the boiler and heating system. "Mr S, Chapel St. Leonards
- "Very pleased with Northern Energy, organised and efficient. Chris the boiler engineer (as always) doing his job excellently - thank you!"Mrs S, Market Rasen
- "Three and a half hours after calling Northern Energy my boiler was sorted. I didn't even expect it to be the same day. I received a text from the engineer a day after to see if everything was OK.
I am so pleased that I have an account with Northern Energy and have my boiler looked after by experts. "Mr B, Scunthorpe
- "We were dealt with quickly, our options were clearly explained, a solution found and our boiler was fixed before Christmas. Excellent. "Mr W, Driffield
- "Great boiler engineer, he would have come to the property the evening of the breakdown had I wished!"Mr S, Meldon
- "On behalf of my mum, she has been a customer of yours for a long time and she always sings the praise of your staff from the people that answer the phones, the delivery drivers and the engineers. I would like to say a very big thank you for the excellent customer service your team provide. Especially this week when her boiler broke down and the problem was solved so swiftly. "Mrs B, Pontefract
- "Very prompt and helpful. The engineer got the boiler going straight away and came back a couple of days later to replace parts. It was only an hour and twenty minutes from my call to arrival "Mr P, Driffield
- "I approached Northern Energy for help with my boiler. Without doubt, Dave Jeff and his Oil Force Team are the most efficient, considerate and knowledgeable boiler maintenance team we have ever come across. We would recommend them to anyone. "Mr C, Masham
- "Many thanks for your prompt service. Special thanks to driver Jeff, who is a great advertisement for your company!"Mr T, Harrogate
- "A very, very big thank you for the oil delivery this morning.
I rang at 8am and explained we were very low on oil and that my wife had a medical condition where she needs to keep warm. Your phone call at around 9 am to say the tanker was on its way caught us by surprise. It arrived 30 minutes later!
Truly exceptional service.
"Mr W, Donington on Bain
- "Thank you so much for the M&S voucher, what a lovely gesture.
After having been treated so badly by my previous gas supplier, this was a lovely surprise and much appreciated.
Although I was left out of gas, you responded so quickly and it was obvious you were keen to remedy it.
Your customer service team is excellent. I will have no problems recommending Northern LPG."Mrs W, Northumberland
- "The standard of my boiler service was exceptional. I phoned the engineer at 8am on a Saturday and he arrived at 9:15am! He managed to diagnose the problem and make a temporary fix for the hot water. A new part arrived the following Tuesday and he came and fixed it. "Mr A, Tadcaster
- "Excellent boiler service. The engineer replaced the circulation pump and fully explained everything.
I would recommend Northern Energy on the basis of this service - a definite plus point!"Mrs H, Retford
- "Couldn't have been better in any way!"Mrs J, Grimsby
- "Excellent, friendly and very punctual engineer.
I would recommend without reservation!"Mr W P D